sobota, 18 lutego 2017

:ŁŚ Magazine: Nightmares about Dyatlov - an interview with Sana Obruent EN



Sana Obruent's "Dyatlov" is one of the first of this year's big ambient projects. I asked Paul Lopez, the man behind it about his fascination with the Dyatlov Tragedy and what happened there in his opinion, about ghosts and ambient music. Thank you, Paul. Looking forward to more material by Sana Obruent.


ŁŚ: Sana Obruent in Latin means “drowned in sound” if I can trust my rusty Latin. You also posted a poem in this language on your Bandcamp pages. What makes Latin and its culture so inspiring for you?

PL: For a brief time over 20 years ago I managed to teach myself some very small parts of Latin but it was strictly basic words and sentences. Over time my memory of the language dissipated but I still remain interested with it's origins and it continues to fascinate me.

The poem I mentioned, “Verum musicum” by Erik Satie - why is it so important to you? Is the French composer a major influence on Sana Obruent?

The title when translated into English means "The True Musician." For me the poem represents the struggles that musicians or songwriters continue to go through and the sacrifices that we make to have our art recognized or at least heard of. I have always carried the thought that if only one individual understands what I am trying to do with my music and listens with open mind towards me or other artists regardless of genres that in my view is being successful.


Erik Satie
What are your other inspirations? What does an ambient artist actually listen to? Is it only the sounds of nature and reality around you or is there also a place for more traditional music?

Everyday life is a constant inspiration for me regardless if the situations are positive or negative. I have always been an individual who tends to keep everything hidden within me and if I bring these specific things to the surface I translate all of it the only way that I know how and that is with my music. When it comes to my musical inspirations I absorb everything. If you really would like to know what I listen to everyday all I can say to you is "name it"!

Your last album, “Dyatlov”, tells the story of the tragedy that took place on the Dyatlov Passage in the Ural Mountains, in which nine people died in a mysterious way. Why did you decide to tell their story with your music?

Dyatlov is an investigation that should always be ongoing. So much time has passed since the tragedy but I feel that the hikers who lost their lives on the mountain should never be forgotten and in a small way I recorded these songs as a tribute to their memory. But most importantly I wanted to create an awareness that these individuals lost their lives in the most brutal of ways. I just feel that their souls are not at rest. That bothers me.


The expedition before the Dyatlov Tragedy

And as we are on it, what do YOU think happened there?

There are countless theories about the tragedy at Dyatlov Pass. The range from having contact with UFO's, possibly being attacked by a menk or Russian yeti or the neighboring indigenous Mansi tribesmen. But my personal opinion shifts towards the Russian military who at that specific time were known to conduct tests on parachute mines that would explode just a few feet from their target when airborne. If an individual was in the immediate vicinity during the explosion they would be killed but also have the same types of injuries that had been found on the hikers. Also, the bodies of some of the hikers after being located had a very distinctive brown color to their skin as well as showing traces of radiation.

You are from California, probably the least likely place to compare to the Ural. How did you manage to convey the atmosphere of this frozen, desolated place so well?

I have worked on this project for over a year. I became so immersed within the subject matter that it affected me a great deal. It would always pay me a visit, especially at night when I would try to sleep and if I was lucky to rest I had very vivid dreams about Dyatlov. It felt as if I was there. After I awoke in the morning these dreams would still be with me and it was why I decided to express how I felt about this particular subject. I hope I was successful?





Sana Obruent's ghosts

I have a feeling you are really into the Beyond. Ghosts appear quite frequently in your creations - in the pictures you post, in music (like in “A Return To The Ballroom”). Do you believe there’s actually passage between Here and There or are they just some kind of echo of the past?

I have always had a strong belief in spirits and things that may be considered to come from the beyond. I have had so many weird and paranormal experiences throughout the years and these situations have also been shared by members of my family who have gone through some unexplained phenomenon on their own. I want to believe in the possibility of life after death. There has to be something more after you leave the planet. This concept has always been here. I have faith that it is real but where could it all lead is anyone's guess.

And a generic question to end - who do you think is your music for? Why do people listen to so dark and unsettling things like your creations?

The music that I create with Sana Obruent is something that I hope everyone can embrace. People have a dark side and I am no exception. The way I feel comes out exactly as I intended within the music. Perhaps people around the world, regardless of who they may be, can find some type of peace or calm within my music. I hope they do because that would mean everything to me.


To read more about "Dyatlov", check my post. Don't forget to follow Sana Obruent on Bandcamp and Facebook.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz