poniedziałek, 16 stycznia 2017

Paragraphs - I Went Outside, I Could Hear The Houses Breathing, They Were Alive (2017) EN


Should one recommend a visit in a head of a person suffering from depression? Should one like those visits? When you listen to "I Went Outside..." it seems that the answer is 2 x yes. Paragraphs (not the most famous music project under this name and not even the second one and probably not the third - no wonder this London-based Paragraphs had so much troubles with the Bandcamp account address) tried to describe the sickness, "this album is probably the closest I will come to explaining what it feels like to suffer from depression" writes the artist, he tried and won. Because the album is perfect.

Paragraphs knows no mercy. He doesn't waste his breath for metaphors and blurts out everything as if he was sitting in his psychologist's office. even if sometimes it may get very close to exaggeration (the last track, "Everyone I Love Will Die was perhaps too much). And yet, the lyrics, as for example the one in "I Couldn't Do Anything Quietly" - "I want to talk /But I've got nothing to say/I want to walk/But everywhere looks the same/I want to love/But all I feel is pain/Forever forgotten" sound extremely melodic. So you want to listen, hum and go deeper and deeper inside them. Perhaps it's dangerous.

The whole thing is dressed in neat lo-fi balancing between ambient, dreampop and post-rock so the spectrum is wide and well fitting the topic. And yes, one of few, if not the only one, metaphor is the album's title. And this metaphor is striking.

"I Went Outside..." is available for 2 GBP.




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz